Haircut + Organic Hair Colour + Treatment at J&J Hair Identity Salon



Natulique Hair Colouring Review


Salon : J and J Hair Identity Salon
Location : 88 East Coast Road #02-11 Katong Square S(423371 )
Tel : 63442388
Stylist : Shine Wong ( Director )

I needed a hair colouring job to cover my greys but is only keen in non-ammonia hair colouring dyes. A search online led me to Hair Identity Salon and I promptly booked an appointment with them. Its been awhile since I tried a new salon, because I have been retouching the hair roots at my previous salon for the past 2 years. 

I like what I see on their website - background of the founders, brands and products used, cost of services and promotions. Everything is clear and upfront. However, the location was kind of obscure and is not exactly convenient for me. Still, I went and I was glad that I did.


I went on a weekday, hence there was no crowd, other than the fact that Katong Square was pretty new, small and not many shops within. The salon probably needs lots of regulars to keep it running and I believe they do, because personally, I have a good experience with them too. Hopefully, they will open another branch in a central location. Heh!

Nook, Techna and Herb UK colouring dyes did not fare too well for me, so I was keeping my fingers crossed with Natulique being used in this salon. Natulique hailed from Denmark, a country known for its people striving for a better environment by developing new and greener ways of living, greener transportation, town planning, etc, so in a way, most of us do hold similar expectation when it comes to Natulique.

According to its website, Natulique Professional Hair Colours are designed with the focus on natural ingredients that provide a more gentle hair colour and extra conditioning. It includes pure natural sunflower seed extract, jojoba oil and apricot seed oil, which conditions the hair better than the usual chemical-laden hair colouring dyes. It is great that they are 100% ammonia-free, 100% lauryl sulfate free, 100% paraben free with 100% grey hair coverage, plus the fact that they are 98.02% derived from natural sources. Just what I am looking for.

Both stylists were busy when I arrived but a nod from the female stylist acknowledged my presence so I plopped myself down at one of the seats available. A khaki-coloured basket-like holder can be found at the foot of every table, for my bag and essentials which was a nice touch.

Shine, a soft spoken guy with a friendly and cheerful deposition puts one at ease immediately. He was the director cum stylist for me, that day. He promptly served warm water ( choose among coffee, tea or water ) with some tidbits at the side. The tidbits was a thoughtful gesture because my hungry tummy really needs it after 3 hours in the salon although by then, the warm water has already turned cold.

He examined my hair and recommended "charcoal" colour for my tresses as too light colours may not be able to cover the greys well. After I told him about my not-so-good experiences with other non-ammonia hair colouring jobs as well as how it stung, he suggested applying an Omway hair tonic on the scalp ( for those with sensitive scalp ) before starting the colouring process, which will cost $20 to which I agreed readily.

He also did suggest not to wash my hair the night before, so that the oil from my scalp/hair can help to "moisturise" before the colouring process. Ha, would be great if he said that over the phone, when I arranged my appointment but I do appreciate the information because I have the tendency to pick the experts' brains in facial and hair salons.

During the colouring job, my scalp stings slightly, though not as much as with Nook and Herb UK - probably the tonic helps, or Natulique is gentler. Note that my scalp don't sting when I use the usual chemical laden colouring dyes. Yes, its strange, I know.

Shine's service and attitude are personable, always asking about my sensitive scalp and if it hurts as well as asking if I am hungry. The whole salon experience has been positive, comfortable, attentive and not rushed. He also applied a hair treatment product on my freshly washed hair to minimize any stinging sensation, if any. A stylist who really care about the customer's hair.

Hair cut was layered well. Colour was natural. Treatment was good. It made my hair soft and silky smooth that lasted 3 days. Unfortunately, as with other non-ammonia hair colouring dye, my hair was like a lumpy pasta when I first washed it but only the top was hard while the hair ends were still alright. After my hair is completely dry, I can still feel the softness and silkiness due to the hair treatment.

However, on the following day ( 2nd day ), large flakes-like dandruff appeared on my scalp. Thankfully, by the 3rd wash, the dandruff were gone and my hair was less "hard". Subsequent washes were fine, although my hair was still slightly stiff and dry ( in wet state ) but definitely better than other non-ammonia colouring dyes where I battled with dandruff for almost a week. The slightly stiff and dry state lasted for about 5 days which was bearable.

Unfortunately, I was disappointed to see specks of greys peeking out within 1.5 weeks after the colouring job, which was the first for me. I even use my own colour shampoo and conditioner during this period, in order to prolong the colour but they don't seem to make a difference. I may need to monitor the situation and update again.

Despite this, I think I may visit the salon again, probably for a root touch-up and try a darker colour.

Damage : $108 ( promotional price of cut + organic colour + Olaplex treatment ) + $20 ( for hair tonic for sensitive scalp before the colouring starts ) = $128



Image Source : Vaniday

No comments